Blog

Peter Ball

A former bishop, Peter Ball has been released from prison after serving just 16 months of a 32 month sentence.

Peter Ball’s alleged victim victim has criticised his early release stating, a poor reflection on the criminal justice system”.

The bishop admitted a string of historical sex offences against 18 teenagers and young men. Peter Ball was jailed in October, 2015.

Phil Johnson said he had served “less than a month for each of the victims”.

Peter Ball was sentenced to 32 months for misconduct in public office and 15 months for indecent assaults, to run concurrently, after using “religion as a cloak” to carry out the abuse between the 1970s and 1990s.

Richard Scorer, a lawyer representing a number of Ball’s victims, said his early release was “an affront to justice” and “a huge blow to his victims”.

“This was a man whose appalling crimes represented a gross and systematic abuse of trust spanning decades,” he said.

Mr Johnson, from Eastbourne, who was not one of the 18 people Ball admitted abusing, alleges that Ball inappropriately touched him as a 13-year-old boy. He said the sentence handed down to him was “in no way proportionate to the crimes committed”, and it seemed he had been freed “at the earliest opportunity”.

A Church of England spokeswoman said Ball’s offences were “a matter of deep shame and regret”.

In February 2016, the Archbishop of Canterbury, Most Rev Justin Welby, commissioned an independent review of the Ball case. Mr Johnson said its publication was not likely “for several more months”.

“I think it’s utterly ridiculous that it’s taken longer to write a report on what happened than it has for Peter Ball to serve his jail sentence,” he said.

A Ministry of Justice spokesman said sex offenders were “robustly risk assessed and subject to a strict set of conditions”. “If they fail to comply, they can be recalled to prison,” he added.

First Step Leicester, Leicestershire and Rutland are working together with other partner agencies across Leicester, Leicestershire and Rutland to help spread the awareness for the ‘Its Not Okay’ campaign.

This week sees the 2nd year of the ‘Its not okay‘ campaign.

Partner agencies across Leicester, Leicestershire and Rutland are working together to promote the campaign and each day there will be opportunities to watch Facebook Live links from the individual agencies.

Wednesday 8th is the day when First Step undertake their Facebook Live slot to share the support that males can access, whether it happened recently or a long time ago. The WRONG campaign football image has been produced to ensure that male victims are made aware of the services available to them.

Its Not Okay

Its Not Okay

Kayleigh’s Love Story

The film about Kayleigh Haywood, Kayleigh’s Love Story, has received over 1 million views in 24 hours.

The movie, Kayleigh’s Love Story, was previously screen in certain villages in Leicestershire to highlight the dangers of online grooming to both parents and children.

More than 1m people watched Kayleigh’s Love Story within the first 24 hours of the film being posted online.

The film, about the last two weeks of the life of 15-year-old Measham schoolgirl Kayleigh Haywood, was posted on the Leicestershire Police Force’s website and Facebook page at 9am Tuesday 3rd January.

In the early hours of this morning the 1m mark was reached, and total viewing figures (as of 8am) stand at 1.3m, with a total reach of 3 million.

This video, Male Rape Is Real – Men Are Victims, Too was taken from Huff Post Live on YouTube.

This video, Male Rape Is Real – Men Are Victims, Too was taken from Huff Post Live on YouTube.

One in 10 rape victims is male, and rarely reports the crime. We hear from a survivor and experts about the unique issues facing male victims of sexual assault.

If you have been affected by anything in this video, and would like some support and help, please contact First Step Leicester, Leicestershire and Rutland at contact@firststepleicester.org.uk . If you are not in our area, but look through our website as we have lots of self help information and contacts.

Read More

Male Sexual Assault Victims

Storylines featuring male sexual assault victims on television are changing what many people think of the crime.

Fans of the Starz drama Outlander won’t soon forget one particularly emotional scene from earlier this past season, when Jamie (Sam Heughan) explains to his wife (Caitriona Balfe) that his pain and suffering from the sexual assault at the sadistic hands of Captain Black Jack Randall (Tobias Menzies) is not close to being over for him.

What’s revolutionary about the Outlander storyline is that the sexual assault victim is male — and also a lead character in a popular television drama. Additionally, the repercussions of the abuse and emotional ramifications are not being resolved in a swift 42 minutes or even a short-term arc — in Outlander’s case, the ramifications are dealt with in nearly every episode, a full season later. Reflecting reality, the pain that the victim experiences is something that doesn’t have an expiration date.

Read More

The Moore Show, have uploaded the video for Male Survivors of Child Abuse.

On the video of Male Survivors of Child Abuse, 3 brave male survivors of sexual abuse, Peter Saunders (Founder of NAPAC), Graham Wilmer (Founder of The Lantern Project) and Joe Peters (No1 Best Selling Author of Cry Silent Tears) speak out about their horrific stories.

Read More
Read More

CSE

The CSE campaign hope to tackle the grooming and sexual exploitation of boys and young men.

The CSE campaign is aiming to encourage people to see the risks, not the gender, and play their part in helping to tackle child sexual exploitation (CSE).

CSE can happen to anyone, girls and boys. This is the latest message from the campaign to raise awareness of this crime. Boys could be abused by both male and female offenders, and they face particular challenges trying to speak out. They are likely to fear not being believed or judgements being made about their sexuality or masculinity.

Read More

Vulnerable Boy

The sexual abuse of a vulnerable boy is an example of ‘how children have been let down by authorities’

Members of a paedophile ring, who sexually abused a vulnerable boy, have been jailed. The boy turned to prostitution after running away from care in Leicestershire. The paedophiles were handed prison sentences ranging from 3 to life for a string of sex offences on the boy between 2009 and 2011.

Warwick Crown Court heard the main victim ran away from care and was missing for 11 days before he was found at the home of a pimp named Stephen Kelly. Kelly befriended the vulnerable boy in the gay red light area of Birmingham, after he picked him up from New Street Station, and he groomed the boy for prostitution.

Read More

Kayleigh Haywood

A film about aspects of last two weeks of Kayleigh Haywood. It is to be screened next week to people aged 18 and over who live in the communities in Ibstock, Measham and Coalville.

Adults living in the villages are invited to watch the film about Kayleigh Haywood, which has been produced by Leicestershire Police to highlight the dangers of online grooming to both parents and children.

In November last year, 15-year-old Kayleigh Haywood was groomed online by 28-year-old Luke Harlow – a man she had never met. Over the course of 13 days, he sent Kayleigh Haywood more than 100 messages a day before she finally agreed to spend the night at his house in Ibstock.

Read More

Male Sexual Abuse

Male sexual abuse, rape and assault are starting to become acknowledged as the UGC’s new regulation notified in May states that male students, too, can now file complaints against sexual harassment. 

The University Grants Commission (UGC)’s new regulation notified in May states that male students, too, can now file complaints against sexual harassment. Besides stating that ‘gender harassment is neutral’, it adds that “the students who have alleged that they have been sexually harassed should file their complaints within three months of the offence.” Institutes are required to set up an internal committee to investigate within 30 days of receiving the report, and complete their probe within 90 days. According to the regulation if any university or college fails to follow the regulations, they would face action, including fund cuts. While the regulation is a landmark one, when it comes to focussing on male sexual harassment issues, will they change the mindset still prevalent in our society, that pushes men to hide such instances of harassment in order to not appear vulnerable or become the butt of cruel jokes? When we spoke to the male students on how they would deal with sexual harassment, many echoed the same concerns, that may be complaining would make them appear like a wuss, or that stating such concerns would mean ‘the end of college life’.

Read More

CHANGE THEIR WORLD. CHANGE YOURS. THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING.